Updated - 16 June 2021
- There are no restrictions on the numbers at funerals or wakes. However, each venue is required to determine how many people can safely be accommodated with social distancing
- Funerals should be limited to close family and friends if possible
Keeping overall numbers at funerals as low as possible will reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19. We appreciate your continued efforts to do all you can to reduce the risks.
A summary of the current laws, and additional guidance for mourners, is on the Essex County Council Faith, worship, funerals and bereavement page.
- Our offices are open. Everyone entering an office must follow the strict guidance in place.
- It is preferential for arrangements to be made over the telephone.
- For the safety of families and our staff we will require an NHS Test & Trace form to be completed and returned to us before the funeral - CLICK HERE FOR AN ELECTONIC COPY OF THE FORM
- Chapel visits by arrangement and restricted to two family members of the same household. Facemasks must be worn.
- No Chapel visits of Covid cases.
- Chapel visits must be between 9:30am and 4:00pm.
- Two Jaguar limousines fitted with protective screens are available. Only 6 people from one household or support bubble per car or 4 people from mixed households.
- We will continue to follow Government guidance and stress that strict social distancing will be followed at all times.
If Office Arranging:
- Arranging by appointment is preferable
- No more than 2 people from the same household to be present at time of arranging
- Social distancing must be followed with the 2 meters guidance
- Face masks to be worn by us and family. We will provide masks if necessary
- No hand shaking
- Family to be asked to use hand sanitiser on arrival and again on leaving
- Family to use one pen which will have been sanitised before use and staff will use another
- If anyone has Covid 19 symptoms, they must not attend Arrangements
Chapel visits by arrangement may now be carried out but with strict guidelines in place.
- Covid 19 cases CANNOT be visited
- Non Covid 19 viewings will be limited in numbers of visits (ideally one)
- All visits are by appointment with times agreed with the office responsible
- Visits will be limited to a maximum of 2 family members from the same household or support bubble at any one time and for a maximum of 30 minutes
- Social distance of 2 meters must be followed
- Visitors will be asked to use hand sanitizer on entering and leaving the office
- Face masks to be worn by us and the family (we will provide masks if necessary.)
Two of our Jaguar limousines are available for funerals, subject to the following restrictions:
- Up to 6 passengers if they are from the same household or support bubble.
- Up to 4 passengers from mixed households
- The front seat next to the driver is not available
- Face masks must be worn by all passengers at all times
The limousines are fitted with protective screens to reduce any chance of cross-contamination. Masks and hand gel will be available.
Offices are open. Chapel visits (by arrangement) are permitted. Office hours are:
Saturday opening hours
- Braintree and Hullbridge - closed
- Burnham, Chelmsford, Maldon and South Woodham Ferrers - 10.00 am till 12.00 noon
Crematoria Chapel numbers
- Chelmsford - Maximum 20
- Bowers Gifford (Basildon) - Maximum 60
- Southend - Maximum 30
- Three Counties (Braintree) - Maximum 37
- South Essex (Upminster) - Maximum 55